Wednesday, June 5, 2013

First Flight Baby Shower


Yesterday, I told my friend that since I got laid off, I've been busier than ever, but I couldn't really pinpoint what I'd been doing.  I'd pictured using this time to read leisurely in my hammock, update my scrapbook, paint a few paintings, and bake...oooohhh there it is...baking.  I've been baking.  And planning parties!  The first one was a baby shower for a best friend of mine.  She just had her first baby and I was more than excited to throw her a shower.  She's a pilot, so I wanted the shower to be airplane-themed.  I may or may not have been planning this thing for about ten months.  (It was a post-labor shower.)  Here are a few pics of how it turned out!


I made a tiny sky above the food table using balloons, crepe paper and one of many styrofoam planes I bought from the dollar store.  I just strung fishing line from my cabinet to my wall, then hung crepe paper and tied balloons to the line for clouds.  Don't forget your Food Court signage!


Downstairs I hung about six tablecloths cut in half outward from my light fixture in the middle of the room using thumb tacks!  Afterward I made tons of little cloud balls and hung them sporadically, as well as planes, throughout the room and added a few balloons to cover the edges of the tablecloths.


My brother had a few pilotish things since he has his private pilot's license. And a mutual friend of D's and I is also a pilot, so she brought like everything she owned for me to use.  Thanks, Cass!  One of the suitcases is from my local thrift store, and one is my great grandmother's!  How fun is that?




I made some "Wishes for Baby" sheets for the guests to fill out.  This was one of my favorite parts of the shower!

Deneal, the guest of honor, is obsessed with Dr. Pepper, so for dinner we had Dr. Pepper pulled pork sammies.  We also had "Carry-on Coleslaw," "Rainbow Fruit Kabobs," "Seats in the Upright Position Salad" and dessert...

Don't forget treat bags so your guests can take some treats home "for their kids." ;)


Turbulence Taffy.  It's skewered so that people can take a taffy stick!  People thought I'd stacked it in the vases!


Mallow Propellers.  First I made the propellers using white chocolate in a squeeze bottle and squirting it onto parchment paper.  Waxed paper works too.  Then just skewer a mallow, dip it in blue candy melts and let dry.  After they set up, fill another squeeze bottle with blue and use a small mount to attach propellers.  Hold each one in place till it's set up.  Use the same process to attach a green M&M!


Cloudy Cake Pops.  I used a squeeze bottle filled with white chocolate that had set up and thickened a bit to make the clouds.  It took a little trial and error to get the right consistency.


And Dr. Pepper Precious Cargo Cupcakes.  These were sooo good!!  I really liked the consistency.  Recipe from BS in the Kitchen here.


I modified these Valentines from Just Something I Made and used them as invitations.  They turned out adorably.  As a favor, I gave little bags of peanuts.  Just like you get on an airplane, except immensely cuter!  We also gave mini hand sanitizers that said, "Thank you for coming and touching Deneal's life, now you can touch her baby."  Those were a hit, but I failed to get a picture.


As a party game, I froze these creepy plastic babies in icecube trays.  Each guest got one icecube and whoever's baby melted first had to yell, "My water broke!" for a prize.  I usually hate games, but I thought the idea was great! 

I felt like the shower was pretty epic and so did everyone else.  The only fail was that I was so busy being host I neglected to get a picture of me and Deneal!  Sigh.  

Throw your own First Flight baby shower.  See my inspiration board here on Pinterest!  For graphic design requests, just e-mail me at chelsi.johnston@gmail.com.  I'd love to help!

1 comment:

  1. You guys sure had a nice time in this First Flight Baby Shower. Truly, it's so great to see all of these inspirations! At the local event space Chicago I also would be hosting the baby shower for my cousin and everything shown here looks perfect to replicate in her bash. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete